Thursday, February 21, 2008

Nearing my Solo

It's been a little over one week since I've been flying, last at Robertson Airport (4B8). I definitely like Oxford (OXC) more. The lack of a tower meant much busier radios (and the fact that the frequency is shared with other airports just added to my confusion) and the runway was much, much harder. While OXC's runway is 5800' long and 100' wide, 4B8's is 3612' by 75', and the runway at 4B8 is bumpy, too.

Chris said I did great. He pointed out that I was a little off centerline on my take-offs, and came in high on landings, but that I handled them appropriately, which is what counts. (He did the radios, which I appreciated, but it made me realize I had a lot more to learn, even with something so simple. Multitasking is the name of the game when flying, especially in the traffic pattern.)

I'm hoping to solo at Oxford this weekend. I'm more familiar with the landscape, the altitude of the traffic pattern (I kept coming in high at Robertson), the radios – hell, everything. Obviously I want to get to the point that I can get in any plane (single engine for now) and fly it anywhere, but I'm best taking small, steady steps. Weather pending, I KNOW I can solo this weekend: I just need the weather to be good, and Chris to give me the all clear. I'm getting very excited…

No comments: